The was first built in 1841. It was then rebuilt in 1875 and again in 1890 before an electric sub-station was added to the facility. Continuing to provide easy access further East as well as running hourly connections to New York City, the train station serves as both a historic monument as well as a present operating facility.
In 1994 funding was obtained to renovate the station. Along with exterior reconstruction, the interior waiting room and roof were replaced.