One of the myths of the Long Island Motor Parkway’s history was that there were 12 lodges all designed by prominent architect John Russell Pope and built to collect tolls and provide housing for the toll-takers and their families.
Overall, at least 20 structures were actually constructed by the Long Island Motor Parkway with the intent to collect tolls. Only the original six lodges were designed by John Russell Pope and only 10 of the buildings had small living quarters for the toll collectors and their families.
A new series on VanderbiltCupRaces.com documents the toll collection structures of the Long Island Motor Parkway. Going west to east, the first planned toll lodge was the Nassau Boulevard Lodge at the Western Terminus located at Nassau Boulevard (later renamed Horace Harding Boulevard) in Fresh Meadows.
The Nassau Boulevard Lodge did not match the large toll booth structure seen at Rocky Hill Road (Springfield Boulevard). The "booth" was a small kiosk surrounded by a wood barricade with an opening for cars. This structure was seen in the background of the Bike Path Opening Day ceremonies held on July 9, 1938. As noted by Al Velocci, this kiosk was never used to collect tolls likely due to the cost of hiring a toll colletor.