Nassau County police, National Grid and the located the gas leak that caused the east building of to be evacuated Tuesday afternoon, according to a National Grid representative.
National Grid spokesperson Wendy Ladd said a gas smell was reported around 12:30 p.m. and National Grid arrived at the scene by 12:50 p.m. By 1:20 all students were moved into the Howitt West building, according to the school district.
Once National Grid located the leak on the exterior of the building, the district was given clearance for students and staff to return to the building in time for dismissal. The gas was turned off while repairs were being made.
Original reports from the Nassau County police said a gas pipe was hit during construction at a nearby home on Richard Ave. at around 1 p.m. but that now appears to be unrelated to this incident. National Grid was also called to the scene of the home to fix the pipe.
Parents were notified about the gas situation through the district email notification system. Dismissal took place as usual.