The Nassau County Fire Marshal's office investigated a January fire in Farmingdale
"The case is now closed and fire was declared accidental," said James Hickman, the supervisor of the Fire Investigations Division.
responded to the on Columbia Street off Conklin Street at around 7 p.m. on Jan. 10. Firefighters were met with heavy fire coming through the roof of the 1.5 story garage and a man suffering from burns, who was transported to Nassau County Medical Center.
Ten fire departments were called to the scene to assist, including and North Amityville and the fire was controlled around 9 p.m.
Farmingdale Fire Chief Jack Schrer said that a man was repairing a car in the garage when a gas tank fell, igniting fire when contents from the tank hit an electric light on the floor.
"The fire was fed by gasoline," Schrer said. "It was fully involved by the time we were called so we did not make an interior attack. It was set far back and as soon as we pulled up we saw a lot fire so we had to call a mutual aid pumper."
He said that there were three antique cars stored in the garage and that he was under the impression the garage was rented by the owners to a family member. Schrer said the man's leg got burned trying to stomp out the fire when when the tank fell.
The man was treated and stablized in the burn unit at Nassau University Medical Center, a spokeswoman said, but the blaze ultimately destroyed the garage, including two cars and all supplies.
"The fire wasn't too unusual, the same would have occurred in anyone's garage because of all the flammable contents," Schrer said. "Gas burns fast."